Here’s some important info regarding the online Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) eCourse to which we provide access as part of your class fee. Please read this FAQ in its entirety, as it should answer most of your questions! Do not go directly to the MSF website to book your eCourse!
Remember, the eCourse will take a few hours to complete (about 5 hours for BRC, 4 hours for BRC2) and you will need to arrive at your first Total Rider class with a printed Certificate of Completion (or you will be dropped).
1. After booking your class with Total Rider, you’ll receive a confirmation email from us with class information including how to access your eCourse. The Subject line will contain: “Booking confirmed – Total Rider”
This email will give you specific instructions on how to access the proper online eCourse through a secure page at our website. That page will provide a specific link to the appropriate eCourse registration page at the MSF website for your class. DO NOT go to the MSF website first – you MUST go through our secure webpage to access the eCourse.
There are 2 distinct eCourses, depending on the class you enrolled in:
- Basic BRC eCourse ePackage 1 is a 5-hour online course that begins by addressing Level I beginner topics covered in the BRC Rider Handbook. The second half of the Basic eCourse ePackage 1 addresses Level II content, focusing on human factors with self-assessment regarding values and choices. This interactive, online component provides the cognitive aspects of learning to ride in preparation for the range portion of the BRC.
- Intermediate BRC2 eCourse ePackage 2 is a 4-hour online course that integrates MSF’s Street Strategies and Human Factors into one seamless course. The BRC2 eCourse ePackage 2 addresses both Level I and Level II content. Level I content includes most of the topics in the BRC Rider Handbook about the basics of riding, but eliminates elementary content related to motorcycle controls and getting started. Level II addresses rider behavior with self-assessment as to values and choices, as well as the cognitive aspects of riding in traffic.
2. Your class-specific eCourse (BRC or BRC2) must be completed before coming to the first day of class with your printed certificate in hand.
Upon completion of the eCourse, you will be able to print a completion certificate that is valid for 30 days. The eCourse must be completed within 30 days prior to the class start date. If you have completed an eCourse more than 30 days before the class start date, you must re-take the eCourse (you can re-take it for free) by logging back in and checking the “Start new attempt” checkbox.
**The MSF eCourse is NOT accepted as a license waiver by any state department of motor vehicles, nor as a license to ride a motorcycle or a learner’s permit.
3. Once you begin your online eCourse, you don’t have to complete it in one sitting. You can do a little bit here and there, have some lunch, go for a walk, etc. then resume the course where you left off. Yay!