THE Course for New Riders and M Licensing
Get ready for your first steps toward life on two wheels! Our MSF Basic RiderCourse (BRC) teaches all newcomers the mental and physical skills needed for safer, enjoyable riding. You will start by learning the basic fundamentals of motorcycle controls (throttle, clutch, brakes) and work all the way through the advanced skills of effective braking, cornering, and swerving… the fun stuff!
TR provides all students with a lightweight, friendly motorcycle during skills training. We also have a select number of loaner helmets, but highly encourage you to purchase your own, as fit and comfort are not guaranteed. And, although not everyone is guaranteed to be the next Evel Knievel (or even pass the course), our Rider Coaches will try their level best to teach you to be the safest rider you can be.
BRC Course Components:
• ONLINE: MSF ePackage 1 This interactive component provides the cognitive aspects of learning to ride in preparation for the riding portion of the BRC, and takes approx. 5 hours to complete. NOTE: ePackage 1 is included as part of your course fee, and we will provide you online access info after you sign up for your BRC class. Please do not take an “eCourse” directly from MSF’s website, or you’ll waste $20 bucks! 🙁 Note, the eCourse must be completed prior to attending your scheduled class.
• IN PERSON: MSF Riding Skills Training —approximately 11 hours spread over a 2-day period.
Ability to balance a bicycle… but you knew this already 😉
A firm commitment to attend your class on time, ready to learn. We strongly suggest arriving to class a few minutes early… because getting stuck in traffic is not only a bummer, but can also lead to you being booted out of class for being late 🙁 Please review our policies here.
Upon arriving at your first class, you must have these 3 documents with you:
- Your PRINTED ePackage 1 completion certificate. Again, this is included as part of your course fee. TR will provide you online access info after you sign up for your BRC class.
- A completed, printed Total Rider Course Waiver
- A valid driver’s license or photo I.D. If you are under 18 years of age, see special requirements here.
… and, you also must bring with you the following riding gear:
- Long sleeve Shirt or Jacket
- Full-length, non-flared Pants (jeans are perfect… just no ripped, holey stuff or bell bottoms!)
- Over-the-ankle Boots (sorry, no tennis shoes allowed)
- Protective Eyewear, prescription eyeglasses or sunglasses
- Full-finger Gloves (leather preferred)
- Helmet, must be DOT approved. We do have some loaner helmets if needed but fit is not guaranteed.
Also, remember to bring a snack and LOTS of cold water or hydrating beverages… especially in the HOT Texas summers! Click here for a nifty, printable gear check list.
Need Riding Gear?
Shop our affiliate partners for great deals on helmets, gloves, jackets and other top-line riding apparel and accessories!