What is an autocycle, and do I need to have an M license to be legal?

Regarding the question of if you need an M license and/or take an MSF course to operate an autocycle legally (e.g. Polaris Slingshot, Can-Am Spider, etc.)… the short answer is “No”.

Read below for further info about current state laws.

New Law Establishes Definition, Rules for Autocycles

June 9, 2015

AUSTIN – The Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) is informing Texans about a new motor vehicle designation created by the 84th Texas Legislature through SB 449, which defines an autocycle and establishes requirements for titling, registration and operation. The law went into effect May 22, 2015.

An autocycle constitutes a motor vehicle, other than a tractor, that is:

  • designed to have when propelled not more than three wheels on the ground;
  • equipped with a steering wheel;
  • equipped with seating that does not require the operator to straddle or sit astride the seat; and
  • manufactured and certified to comply with federal safety requirements for a motorcycle.

The bill also specifies an autocycle is required to be titled and registered as a motorcycle. Additionally, an autocycle can be operated under a Class C driver license (the standard license for operating a motor vehicle).

Autocycle Requirements
Headgear Yes (helmet requirements and exceptions for autocycles are the same as those for motorcycles)
Safety inspection Yes
Title required Yes
Insurance required Yes
Motorcycle training No

For a more detailed chart related to autocycle rules along with title, registration, licensing and headgear requirements, see VDR Chart and Autocycle FAQs.

Additional information is also available on the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles website.

(HQ 2015-66)

Here is one example of a vehicle that meets the current definition:

Autocycle example